WHO fact sheet on alcohol says : Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol, this represents 5.9 % of all deaths. Other points from fact sheet are
- The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions.
- Overall 5.1 % of the global burden of disease and injury is attributable to alcohol, as measured in disability- adjusted life years (DALYs).
- Alcohol consumption causes death and disability relatively early in life. In the age group 20 – 39 years approximately 25 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable.
- There is a causal relationship between harmful use of alcohol and a range of mental and behavioral disorders, other non-communicable conditions as well as injuries.
- The latest causal relationships have been established between harmful drinking and incidence of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis as well as the course of HIV/AIDS.
- Beyond health consequences, the harmful use of alcohol brings significant social and economic losses to individuals and society at large.
MADYAMUKHTI conducts awareness programs about the ill-effects of alcohol and drugs in schools, colleges and among the families of alcoholics. The focus of these programs are students and young adults as they are the future of our country and they all need to say NO to alcohol. Last year, MADYAMUKTHI conducted more than 60 successful awareness programmes.
Other two dimensions of MADYAMUKTHI’s fight against alcohol are
Please see the Videos to understand more about MADYAMUKTHI’s fight against alcohol.